The Township of Eaton Rapids was enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Michigan and established by Michigan State Law #57 Section #1 and passed into law at the annual session of 1842. We were originally part of Eaton Township, but set off and organized into a separate township by the name of Eaton Rapids. The first Township meeting was held at the house of H. Hamlin, at the village of Eaton Rapids.
Eaton Rapids Township is located in the southeast corner of Eaton county. It is bordered on the south by Hamlin Township, Eaton Township on the west, and Windsor on the north side, all of which is Eaton County. Aurelius Township is on our east boundary and located in Ingham County. The City of Eaton Rapids is located in the southcentral portion of the Township. Eaton Rapids Township is 9 miles east of the City of Charlotte, 11 miles south of the City of Lansing and 27 miles northwest of the City of Jackson.